Just as planning a menu in advance goes a long way to insuring a successful meal, having specific items available in your kitchen all or most of the time means you will be ready to whip up something delicious at a moments’ notice.
I call these The Stockables. (Or, thanks to the Quarantine, the Stockpile-Ables.)
Having the Stockables seems especially critical these days. I don’t know about where you live, but grocery shopping here has become somewhat of a search for the Holy Grail when it comes to basics like flour, sugar, certain canned goods and shelf stable items. Since I am a woman of a certain age, I take advantage of the special 6 a.m. opening for *seniors* at our local grocery store where I arrive masked, gloved and with the determination of a Squadron Commander who’s determined get all those under her care safely out from behind enemy lines.
I know if I have The Stockables, I can always make “something” for my family to eat, no matter how simple it may be. Consider this Kitchen Basics 101. Having these things on hand will save you time and expand your creative options at mealtime! And you don’t need to spend a fortune all at once. Whatever you don’t have can be added a little at a time as you are able, or as a certain recipe calls for them. A well-stocked kitchen is a great investment and could very well mean basic food security for your family.
One thing that helps me keep my kitchen stocked is that as soon as I use the last of something, I immediately put it on the list for my next shopping trip. During Shut Down, I’ve actually been buying two or even three of an essential item as I am able. “THEY” say the food supply chain is in danger (I *hate* “THEY”).
I say let’s prepare and stock up as we go – every time we go as we are able – and we’ll all get through this without hungry bellies – enough for ourselves and enough to share with others.
- All Purpose Flour
- Almond Extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Beans and Lentils (Both canned and dried)
- Bread Crumbs/Panko Bread Crumbs
- Broths and Bouillons (Beef, Chicken, Vegetable)
- Canned Fruit (Pineapple, Peaches, Applesauce)
- Canned & Powdered Milk (Condensed, Sweetened Condensed)
- Canned Soup (Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery, Chicken Noodle, Varieties you like)
- Canned Tomatoes (Diced, Crushed, Sauce, Paste)
- Cocoa Powder
- Coffee (definitely stockpiling this one. I can handle anything – even quarantine – if I have coffee)
- Cornmeal and Cornbread Mix
- Cream of Tarter
- Crisco Shortening
- Nuts (Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans)
- Oil (I prefer Grape Seed)
- Pasta (ALL kinds of Pasta!)
- Soy Sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Amino Acid – Tastes just like soy but healthier)
- Sugar (White, Brown, Powdered)
- Vanilla Extract
- Vinegar (Balsamic, Apple Cider, White)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Bay Leaf
- Black Pepper
- Chili / Cayenne Pepper
- Curry Powder
- Dry Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt (lots and lots)
- White Pepper
- Cheese (Cheddar, Cream Cheese, Jack, Parmesan)
See anything missing on these lists that you consider a “Must Have” in your kitchen? Please share!